Bad skin — everybody deals with it once in a while. Then, things can get worse — that’s when conditions such as hormonal acne can set in. Your immediate reaction is to seek acne treatments but then, are there acne treatments that actually work?
While it might seem that you’re the only one you notice walking around with zits actively infesting your otherwise flawless skin, acne, the hormonal type most especially, may not be as uncommon as you might think. As a matter of fact, when it comes to hormonal acne, the more proper question to ask is, “Why now?”
The primary cause of hormonal acne is your hormones gone haywire, and typically appear around these times:
•When you are about to get your monthly period
•When you suspect or, reach the age of the onset of menopause
•When you are chronically stressed, undergoing prolonged sleepless nights or when you are under extreme pressure
Since there are many types of acne, knowing which type you have will dictate the acne treatments that actually work for your skin. When it comes to acne due to hormonal imbalance, here are the signs that will let you know for sure your hormones have something to do with it:
•The acne can be very painful, occupies a bigger area, and usually appears with reddish, swollen skin around it.
•The zit can take up to 2 weeks to fully develop, at times not making itself immediately visible but, you feel swollen skin underneath and that’s how you know for sure that a zit is brewing underneath.
•An acne caused by hormone-related irregularities will either dry out on its own after two weeks or if you force it to burst, blood and pus will drain out of it, either way, an acne scar will follow.
•Hormonal acne will most likely appear on your cheeks, jawline or chin.
Rant all you want but, that will not solve your hormonal acne. If any, stressing over these zits will likely cause it to worsen and spread even more. So, give yourself time to relax and all should be well. Get even more immediate relief from acne with these acne treatments that actually work:
1. Benzoyl Peroxide. This compound is proven effective against acne, it clears your skin of acne-causing bacteria, and you can get it from cleansers, over-the-counter or prescription treatments.
2. Salicylic Acid. This helps control and regulate excess oils and skin shedding to make your skin less prone to acne infestation and breakouts. These are also available in cleansers, toners, and creams, and often paired with benzoyl peroxide.
3. Vitamin A and any of its other forms. Vitamin A regulates the shedding of the skin while simultaneously promoting skin regeneration which makes it one of the most effective acne treatments that you can try.
4. Antibiotics or combination treatments. Some examples of acne treatments that actually work are Epiduo or Ziana, both of which combine both antibiotics and Vitamin A to defend your embattled skin from acne-causing bacteria.
5. Chemical Peels. Remember never to scrub as it will only spread the acne bacteria to nearby pores and infect these as well. Chemical peels help slough off the damaged and infected surface layer of your skin and, therefore, physically eliminating the acne bacteria from your skin.
6. Red Light and Blue Light Therapy. This combination therapy helps control the acne bacteria population while simultaneously stimulating your skin to start healing and to heal fast.
Is It Enough?
When it comes to hormonal acne, there are no one topical or oral acne treatments that will ever be enough for you to win back your flawless, acne-free skin. In other words, you need a strategy that also includes the following:
1. Modify what you eat. Eat less fried and processed. Eat more antioxidants from fruits and veggies.
2. Modify how you live. Stop being a couch potato and move that booty of your as much as you can.
3. Modify your sleeping habits. When you give your skin sufficient time to repair and become renewed, it can win over your bad skin.
4. Modify how you think. Learn to choose what will stress you and know how to best manage these. Train your brain to take on a more positive way of thinking.
Keep in mind that when your hormones are involved, even your state of mind should be taken into consideration. The best acne treatments that actually work + lifestyle changes + a responsive skin care regimen — equals clear and acne-free skin.